Sunday, June 14, 2009

The 1st Annual Professor's Preference and Recognition High Honors

I apologize for the title of the post but I was trying to sound intelligent and academic but it just sounds ridiculous so I apologize but if anyone has another title for my award show, please let me know. It needs a new name. But here are my awards. There will be 5 nominees in each category and then I will put the winner directly below it although I think that will be pretty easy to follow. (In films with less than 5 nominees possible, I will put the maximum, i.e. the Actress categories)

Best Picture Nominees:
All Quiet on the Western Front
The Seventh Seal
Runaway Train
Unforgiven
Dr. Strangelove

Winner: All Quiet on the Western Front

Best Director Nominees:
Lewis Milestone - All Quiet
Orson Welles - Citizen Kane
Alex Proyas - Dark City
Christopher Nolan - Memento
Stanley Kubrick - Dr. Strangelove

Winner: Orson Welles

Best Actor Nominees:
Jon Voight - Runaway Train
Guy Pearce - Memento
Peter Sellers - Dr. Strangelove
William H. Macy - Fargo
Rufus Sewell - Dark City

Winner: Peter Sellers

Best Supporting Actor Nominees:
Dustin Hoffman - Midnight Cowboy
Gene Hackman - Unforgiven
Morgan Freeman - Unforgiven
Kiefer Sutherland - Dark City
Eric Roberts - Runaway Train
(William Hurt - Dark City)

Winner: Gene Hackman

Best Actress Nominees:
Ginger Rogers - Top Hat
Frances McDormand - Fargo

Winner: Frances McDormand

Best Supporting Actress Nominees:
Rebecca DeMornay - Runaway Train
Dorothy Comingore - Citizen Kane
Bridget Fonda - A Simple Plan
Jennifer Connelly - Dark City
Helen Broderick - Top Hat

Winner: Jennifer Connelly

Best Screenplay Nominees: (Original or Adapted -- it's too much work to see which are which)
Runaway Train
Dark City
Dr. Strangelove
Unforgiven
Fargo

Winner: Dr. Strangelove

I hope these picks are suitable and acceptable although probably slightly unorthodox. I couldn't pick just 5 supporting actors because #3-6 were too close for me to just pick 3 of them. Also, it was very close between Jennifer Connelly and Bridget Fonda. Let me know how wrong I am with my picks and look for my next post where I list my favorite movies, from the top 15. Believe me, it will be a very unorthodox list probably. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I was surprised by your Best Picture winner. I found All Quiet to be a very good movie that was easy to learn from. However the fact that it was noticably outdated bugged me and so I couldn't fully appreciate it. Other than that, I'd say your picks are pretty damn good and they were mostly similar to my own. Yayyy.

    ReplyDelete